Skip to main content

Poverty


A huge and reoccurring problem in the book is poverty. Arnold Spirit is the son of poor parents as his parents were before him. Just as everyone else on the reservation is. They can barely afford to provide breakfast. No one leaves the reservation because nobody has enough money to be able to thrive anywhere else in the world. Everybody wants to leave but they can't. This makes them so sad and they spend the little money they have left on alcohol.

Arnold thinks that poverty is an inescapable disease that plagues the reservation. “Poverty doesn’t give you strength or teach you lessons about perseverance. No, poverty only teaches you how to be poor.” 
― Sherman Alexie, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. He thinks that poverty only helps you to be poor and that's all that ends up happening to you when you grow up. Everyone on the reservation realizes that they are going to be poor when they are older too and they think there is no way to escape. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free post

        Thanksgiving break can be so annoying. We have so much homework and it stresses me out the entire break. I wish we could have a whole break with no homework. But I guess that is just too much to ask for. I get that we need to keep our minds refreshed sometimes but we get so much homework it does so much more than that.        Thanksgiving is also just not my favorite holiday in general. We have to all just sit together and eat and it is so boring. Thursday was definitely my least favorite day of the break. It isn't my moms favorite holiday because eating food we don't especially like isnt our favorite pastime. So this holiday gets on my nerves.

Vocabulary free post

     The past few basketball seasons for LSU have been pitiful. That is why I was so excited when Will Wade was hired for the head coaching job. This makes me feel like it is inevitable that we will soon be good. Maybe in two years maybe in 5. Ben and I would go to the LSU basketball games even when we were bad such as last year. Now that we have landed some great recruits, it is time to muse the possibilities of us being a championship team in the near future.      I am looking forward to this basketball season alot more now as we are going to be a lot better. The first game is this Friday and we can't wait. I especially can't wait for the SEC opener against Kentucky which is always really hype and fun. I can't wait for this season as a whole.
"Ughhhhh!" Michael groans watching the monumental disappointment that is the LSU game.      "I can't believe this is happening I thought we were going to be good." Johnathon sighs as he tries to make sense of what is happening.      "Our defense is doing terrible." Michael says. "I don't even want to watch this anymore!" said Johnathon .      "Do you think next game will be any better?" Michael asked. "It better be or else I'm going to stop watching these games!" Johnathon exclaimed.      "That makes two of us!" Michael said as he turned off the tv.